Sunday, March 13, 2016

Sunday Sketch

Hello Citrus Twist friends! Happy Sunday Sketch day!



I don't often work with sketches, so this was a fun challenge for me! At first, I found myself rotating the sketch round and round, trying to figure out which way I'd be most inspired to use the sketch. When it came down to it, I liked the way the elemetns cascaded down the side of the page, so I decided to use that concept in an art journal spread.



I started by creating a decorative focal point on the left hand side of the spread.  Keeping the cascade of elements from the sketch in mind, I added a mixture of watercolors as a base.  The texture and color of the paints act as the paper layers from the sketch.  Random, hand-cut moon shapes were then arranged over the watercolor and sewed down to add even more interest  The finishing touch for this page is the stacked journaling.



Moving on to the right side, I included a few colorful paper strips over more watercolor.  The b/w photo mixed with the colorful paper adds visual weight and makes this page the focus of the spread.  I kept the placement of the photo and smaller elements in the same cascading pattern as the sketch.

Here's a final look at my completed art journal spread....



I love how easily the CT Pocket Life Kit can be used for smaller projects such as a traveler's notebook or an art journal and having the inspiration from the sketch made putting this spread together such a breeze.

I can't wait to see your take on this week's sketch!  A big part of the fun of sketches, for me, is seeing all the different variations and ways people are inspired by the one starting point.  Thank you so much for joining me today and for welcoming me to your happy community!

Brooke

**To play along with this week's Sunday Sketch Challenge, create a project based off of today's sketch, upload it to the gallery with the date of the challenge (3/13) in the title, and you will be eligible to win a $5 gift certificate to the CTK Store!

1 comment: