Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sunday Sketch with Wendy

Hello Citrus Twist Kits fans (hey, say that three times fast, ha)! First up, I'm honored and delighted to be here today sharing my first post as a Citrus Twist Kits Designer for 2016! (insert a silent woot woot)  Thanks Tricia for the invite!  

I received January 2016 Main "Verona" and Sprinkles Kits and they were nothing short of amazing! The January kit colors and embellishments spoke to me and so did this sketch below (designed by Mira Jurecka).  Who doesn't love a great sketch? Oh, and the starburst effect screamed "try me"!  So, I did.

I prefer to scrap in 9x12 format.  I converted last year to this size instead of the routine 12x12 and never looked back.  Maybe it's my love for smaller albums but this size just works for me.  So, my take on the sketch shows you how you can easily adapt a 12x12 sketch to work for you in whatever size you choose to design your page.




For the sunburst pattern in the sketch, I knew I wanted to use the yellow paper in the January 2016 Main "Verona" Kit.  It was the perfect splash of color all bright and sunshiny for the new year!  Also, I chose to flow with one shade of color so the layout would not be 'overwhelmed' by busy papers and busy colors.  One shade of color is perfect for highlighting and balancing out a dominant pattern such as the starburst effect. 



I freehand cut the sunburst pattern of the sketch.  I used a ruler and pencil to measure and draw lines for the pattern on the reverse side of the paper.  Then I used scissors to cut out the starburst pattern.  

*Hint: Make sure to leave space a the top of the starburst pattern so that you do not accidentally cut away all the reverse pieces and your starburst 'rays' fall apart.  You can easily cover the area at the top of the starburst with your photos. 


I accented the starburst pattern by misting black mist spray (from my stash) and fun embellishments from the January 2016 Main "Verona" Kit   

*Hint: Make sure to spray mist your base cardstock PRIOR to adhering your starburst pattern. 



At the top of my layout, I chose to use exclusive Citrus Twist Kits wood veneers from the kit (insert, that I felt like hoarding) to accent the date as shown in the sketch.  A slightly different twist on the sketch in this area of the design.  Then, add the foam and puffy x's or +'s as a fun accent to add to your mini tags and randomness of your layout design.


What about that title of wood veneers? I'm a huge fan of stamps plus wood veneers and so here is the marriage of both in my title.  "Adventure" is a Heidi Swapp accent word from the kit and "the plot thickens" is a Citrus Twist Kits exclusive wood veneer in the kit.  Loveeeee. 


Now it's your turn. If you want to play along with this week's Sunday Sketch and be eligible to win a $5 gift certificate, create a project based off of the sketch and upload it to CTK Gallery by next Saturday. Please make sure to include "Sketch 1/10" to the title line of your project.

I hope I inspired you and you enjoyed my take on this week's Sunday Sketch!

Wendy 


6 comments:

  1. Love it!! Awesome take on the sketch!! And I am so happy for you to get invited to be a DT for CTK, YAY!! Looking forward to see more of your creations :) Anna XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anna!! Yes, I was quite honored & such a sweet inbox surprise from Trina to be invited to the team!! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh, NICE Wendy! Genuine 'woot woot' from this corner! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Suse!! I love your woot woot and I adore genuine peeps! xo

      Delete