Monday, January 18, 2016

Adventure-Michelle Wedertz

Surely I'm not alone on this, but I REALLY like anything wood veneer and I was super happy to find the package of wood words from Heidi Swapp in January's Main "Verona" Kit. Heidi's script writing is quite beautiful and the big words make for a great ready-made title.

Part of what I like about wood veneers, is the added natural texture they bring to a project. I rarely mess with them because of this, usually opting to add just a spray of gold Color Shine  to make the wood sparkle a bit without hiding the wood finish. This month though, I went outside my usual box and gave them a light coat of gold paint.

Jan CT Blog Post

My goal with the paint was to try to come close to the beautiful yellow-gold color that is featured in the kit without sacrificing the wood finish. I started super slowly and added thin layers of paint to the wood word keeping in mind that "less is more" because I didn't want to go too far and completely mask the wood. I ended up going over the word three times and was happy to have gotten the color just as I wanted.


As you can see, I got pretty close to the yellow in the patterned paper, plus the paint gave a little added sheen that I like.



How about you-do you alter plain wood veneers or do you leave them as is?  With the smaller wood pieces I never go any further than a light spritz of Color Shine, but the larger ones seem to invite a little bit more alteration. Would love to hear what you think!

Wishing you a great day.

Michelle



4 comments: